You most likely have one or both of these problems if your garbage disposal suddenly stops functioning and hums only when you turn the switch.
- Unable to access the disposal
- Motor failure
If you can hear the disposer hum, it means you have power. This rule rules out electrical supply problems. However, a jammed motor or bad jam could be preventing the blades churning.
Note: If the disposal motor is not working properly, it may be more economical to replace it entirely than to repair it.
Do you need a professional to help with your disposal? Call Aztec to have one sent right away.
How can you determine why your Garbage Disposal only Hums?
These steps will help you determine if your disposal is blocked.
- Disconnect the disposal To make sure that nothing is accidentally turned on, you can flip the switch to the ON position. However, we recommend also unplugging it under the sink.
- Check the disposal for foreign or food items. If you find anything in the disposal, take it out and run the disposal manually (you can also use pliers or tongs as needed). If the disposal is still not working, or you do not see any obstructions, you can move to step 3.
- Use a spoon to push the blades and manually rotate them. After several rotations, verify that the disposal is working properly. Continue on to the next step if it does not.
- Insert an allen wrench into the hole in the disposal’s bottom. (You will need to reach under the sink).
- Move the allen wrench around to check if the disposal is working normally. If your disposal doesn’t hum or water isn’t draining well, consult a professional to check for a blockage in the P-trap beneath your sink.
When testing the disposal, make sure to run water. To prevent further damage to the motor, don’t leave the disposal on for longer than one minute.
If your disposal doesn’t seem jammed, it’s likely that the motor needs to be replaced or repaired. We have included cost comparisons to help you choose between whether you should fix or replace your disposal.
Broken Garbage Disposal motor? Compare the cost of repair vs replace
You should keep in mind that more expensive garbage disposals will be more costly to install. However, if you are looking to replace your disposal with a simpler, cheaper model, it is probably a better idea to do so than to repair it.
To make the best decision for your home, a professional plumber should be consulted if your disposal motor must be repaired or replaced.
Clog Kings LLC- 24 Hour Emergency Garbage Disposal Repairs
If your disposal is still not working, and you aren’t sure whether it should be repaired or replaced, we’ll send a professional plumber to diagnose the problem and offer both repair and replacement options.
This post was written by Joey Denick. Joey is the Owner and Operator of Clog Kings. At Clog Kings, LLC, we pride ourselves on our dedication and efficiency. We know you don’t have time to waste. That’s why we work fast to get your home or commercial building back up and running in no time. If you are looking for plumbers in Clearwater FL then look no further because we got you covered!